Q & A

Q: I am without a place to live. Can I get assistance immediately?

A: No. There are no special exceptions for assistance. Every application is placed on the waiting list by date & time. The waiting time is based on the property. As always, you are welcome to contact our office for more details.

Q: I am living in a HUD approved unit. Can I get help now?

A: There is no such thing as a HUD approved unit prior to application. You must first apply, go through the verification of eligibility process, and then be issued a Voucher. Once you are issued a Voucher, you may request an inspection of your unit to determine if the unit meets the Housing Quality Standard.

Q: Do I have to move into a government apartment complex to receive assistance?

A: No. The Housing Choice Voucher Program allows for a family to receive assistance in a privately owned unit of their choice provided certain conditions are met. Some of these conditions are:

  • the unit must pass a Housing Quality Standard inspection
  • the owner must agree to participate
  • the size of the unit
  • the amount of rent charges meets the Voucher guidelines.

An acceptable unit can be a single family home, apartment, or mobile home.

Q: How much assistance can I expect to receive?

A: There are many factors that determine how much assistance you will receive. Some of which are:

  • your income
  • number of persons in your family
  • amount of your rent
  • what utilities do you pay.

Basically, the assistance is based upon you paying 30% of your monthly income toward rent with the balance being paid by the Housing Authority.

Q: I may need to relocate to another area soon. Will I lose my rental assistance?

A: Recipients are required to sign a one year lease. After the initial year, you may use your Voucher to move to another area by following proper guidelines.

Q: I am a senior citizen and would like to live in an apartment complex reserved for seniors. Is there a senior apartment complex in my area?

A: Yes and No. All of our locations have apartments that can be rented by senior citizens, but none of the locations are “seniors only”. Call for availability.

Q: I have a pet. Can I move into an apartment and keep my pet?

A: It depends on what the pet is. The PCHA has an adopted pet policy that outlines pet ownership. As long as the pet meets the requirements of the pet policy, A pet is allowed. A pet deposit is required prior to a pet being allowed on the premises. Call and ask to review our pet policy. Service Animals for the disabled are an exception.

Q: I have children and need two or more bedrooms. Are your apartments for senior citizens only?

A: No. Many of our apartments are for families with children. A number of our apartments have two and three bedroom units. We have a limited number of apartments offering up to 3 bedrooms.

Q: How much rent will I have to pay?

A: The amount of rent you pay is based upon a number of factors. A few of those factors are the amount of your household income and the number of persons in your family. Generally, you can expect to pay 30% of your monthly adjusted income less an allowance for utilities.

Q: Will I be required to pay a security deposit?

A: Yes. The amount of the deposit is:

  • 0 & 1 Bedroom – $100
  • 2 Bedroom – $100
  • 3 Bedroom – $100

and will be required to be paid prior to move in.